Our body cannot produce its own Vitamin D or omega-3, so the only way we can get their benefits is through the consumption of food that provides these nutrients, or we need to consume them through supplements. What’s the difference between Vitamin D and omega-3, and what kind of health benefits do each provide? And how does Coromega relate to both?
Vitamin D is a crucial vitamin to keep your body running in tip top shape. It helps your body build and maintain healthy bones, regulate cellular function, and its anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and neuroprotective properties support immune health, muscle function and brain cell activity according to The Mayo Clinic. In recent years research has shown that Vitamin D plays an immunoregulatory role in innate and adaptive immunity, and that with a Vitamin D supplement we can delay the decreased functioning of our immune system as we age. Coromega knows the value that Vitamin D has for the body, so we’ve incorporated 200 IU of Vitamin D3 into our Omega-3 + Vitamin D squeeze packets (that’s 25% of your recommended daily value!).
And what about omega-3? Omega-3 fatty acids are essential to our body’s core functioning. There are 3 different kinds of omega-3: eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). Third form, alpha-linolenic (ALA) is found within plants. According to the Cleveland Clinic, omega-3s can provide the following benefits:
- Reduced risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Reduced risk of death if you have cardiovascular disease.
- Reduced risk of sudden cardiac death caused by an abnormal heart rhythm.
- Reduced risk of blood clots because omega-3 fatty acids help prevent blood platelets from clumping together.
- Keeping the lining of the arteries smooth and free of damage that can lead to thick, hard arteries. This helps keep plaque from forming in the arteries.
- Lowering triglyceride levels by slowing the rate they form in the liver. High levels of triglycerides in the blood increase the risk of heart disease.
- Less inflammation. Atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries) is thought to involve your body's inflammatory response. Omega-3 fatty acids slow production of substances that are released during the inflammatory response.
- May also raise levels of high-density lipoprotein (HDL/“good” cholesterol and lower blood pressure. People who eat fish tend to have lower blood pressure than those who don’t.
The benefits of omega-3 are well documented and cover a wide variety of our body’s vital systems, including immunity. EPA and DHA omega-3s are integral nutrients for healthy immune function. Our Max Omega-3 delivers the biggest dose per serving: 2,400 mg of omega-3 fatty acids including DHA (850 mg) + EPA (1250 mg). Coromega also offers omega-3 options for kids, specifically kids’ eye health too, and pets. Vegan options are also available for both adults and kids!